Monday, July 16, 2012

SHOAtl

I'm back at a place I've learned to love. Atlanta in July. Every 4 years my job brings me to intercity Atlanta to serve the homeless. We serve with an organization called Safehouse. (since I'm only typing this on my phone I will have to just type their website. www.safehouseoutreach.org) Every night of the year, except Thanksgiving, (there is a huge dinner at Turner Field on Thanksgiving) they have a worship service and meal for the homeless of Atlanta.
This is my 5th time working with SHO, and every time I come, I am amazed at the work they do. But every time I come I am also reminded of how fortunate I am.
Tonight during the service, two little girls about 3 and 4 years old were sitting with their mother. The girls just wanted to braid our high school girls hair. These girls live on the street. My daughters are 6 and 4. That's all.
I love my time at Safehouse. I've learned so much. I've talked to some incredible people, both street people and employees. I've learned how to talk to total strangers and show them compassion. I've learned to listen to their stories, because people love to tell their stories. I've learned to look past my prejudices when it comes to street people. They are people, like you, like me, like my kids.
Today at the park, Carrie and I talked to three people. We didn't share The Gospel story with them, but we listened to their jokes and invited them to the service that evening. We laughed with them and valued them. They valued us. (think about that one)
So I ask for your prayers. Pray that God continues to work through SHO. Pray that God will work through this team, this week. And pray that we all be able to see what he wants us to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment