Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Credibility

It seems like I see it in every news article I read now:
  • "Said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak." I don't get it.
 If I am not authorized to speak and I speak, how is mine a credible account? If I am told not to do something and I do it anyway, is my word any good?

This morning as I was filling up the van with gas, I swiped my card and the screen asked me, "Is this a debit card?" I hate that question. I get it all the time. If I tell the truth, I don't get the rewards of 10¢ <-- (remember that symbol? It means $0.01) per transaction that I signed up for this card to get. No one really cares if I say "no," but I feel like my integrity is diminished by this stupid question.  Yes, it is a debit card, but I want to use it as a credit card.

I've learned in my life to tell the truth. It's always simpler that way. You only have to remember the truth and not the lies that you've told. So, in return, I always expect the truth.

When I ask, what you want for your birthday, I want to know. If you say "nothing," I'll be thrilled and expect that you are satisfied with your life and wish nothing from me.

You walk down the street and see someone that you barely know and they say to you, not really ask you, "What's up," or the dreaded Tobias Funke, "How are you," how do you respond? Is it wrong to respond with a question back? "Do you really want to know, or did you just mean to say, 'hi'?"  I'm the one who would be perceived as rude, but you just asked a question that you really don't want to know the answer to. I feel like most people who ask that question, especially in a passing situation, are just meaning to say, "hi," but for the life of them, they can't kick the habit of asking a question that they don't mean.

I called someone out on this the other day. (I actually believe this person really does care how I'm doing) She often asks how I am and I respond with the truth. The other day, she asked and I told her, "living the dream." This excited her so much that she commented that it's the first time I've responded with a quick positive answer. I told her that I tell her how I am every time she asks, and today I feel like I'm living the dream.

So every time I read the news now, and see "Said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak," I have to call into question the credibility of that source. Why is it that they are willing to speak when they are not authorized to? How can I believe them when they've compromised a promise to their authorities that they would not speak? Why won't the stupid gas pump just ask me if I'd like to use my debit card as a debit or credit card? I'd be 50¢ richer every day.  Mean what you say, say what you mean.

Romans 5:12 But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment