Monday, May 1, 2017

The Prophecy Has Been Fulfilled (kinda)

16 years ago I was sitting in the yard of an apartment complex in Metro Atlanta with about 15 men who were addicted, barely homed, abandoned by their families, and rejected by society. Alongside me was about 15 other young men whom I had the honor to lead in our attempt to minister to these men. There was also a woman who seemed to be in her late 60's but was probably older than that. She had become a hero of mine. 5 years before this, I had met her in another neighborhood in Atlanta when she was running a program for poor children. Her heart for those kids was incomparable.
This time she was leading us as we served these men. We organized a small worship service with these men, sat around and listened to their stories and applied meat to flame, then partook. She had asked me to tell my story, but I was scared. Months earlier I had just learned a lot more of my story than I knew for the first 20 years of my life.
I shared my story with these men. I had given my testimony before, and tried to doctor it up so it sounded sexier, but my life was pretty plain...and that's good. Even the best behaved child of the covenant still needs the Savior, people need to hear those stories as well.
But this time, I just told the truth, this new information about my life. It was beautiful. My story encouraged these men, tears were shed by all and I felt better about how God could use filth to further His Kingdom.
Afterwards, this woman, who I watched the day before sit and pray and over and heal a boy convulsing with rage (some might say cast out a demon, I'm not sure), laid here hand on my shoulder and prayed for me. I don't remember much of her prayer, but I remember very specifically, "...we know that he will be a great preacher." I was 20 years old, and really had no intention on preaching. I would follow in Jerry's footsteps all the way. Youth Ministry until I couldn't walk anymore (that didn't happen, I beat him out of it). Preaching was not part of the plan. She didn't know who she was talking about.
And then yesterday. It wasn't great, but I'm satisfied that the Gospel was preached. Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment