Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Dress Codes

This morning we woke up, looked at the weather and realized it was cold with the possibilty of 70 later.  So we dressed accordingly.  Little has a pair of Keens. As we walked out the door, it was evident that the sun had not yet heated the earth enough for such footwear.  I mean, I had my Chacos on, but I could man up.  However, she is neither a man, or an adult, so she couldn't even "woman up."  I asked her if she wanted to go get socks on.  Her initial response was, "no."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes." So we continued up the hill.  "Dad, I said yes."
"Right, we're going."
"No, that means I want socks." Communicating with a five year old can be so frustrating.
So we walked back to the house.  I rifled through the dropped socks that were left at the door.  There were 4 pair, 3 of them did not match.  The 4th did.  Not quite sure why the unmatching socks were put together, but this is the way we live.
We all have standards.  We all have dress codes.  I am no different.  You may doubt that I choose my clothing, but I do have a standard, "wear it until it smells."  I also have a standard for footwear.  It is one that many I know have employed.  "You don't wear socks with sandals."  However, Little's Keens, are not quite sandals.  They are a hybrid.  Keen has even invented a word.  "Hybrid.ology."  So the question is, did I allow my daughter to go out dressed inappropriately?  It also reminds me of some of the funny Biblical standards that God set for us in Leviticus 19:19.  Did God really not want hybrids so that I wouldn't have to deal with such questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment