Saturday, April 14, 2012

Messed Up Breakfast.

Remember that guy at the mall, next to that other guy at the mall who sold those awesome rubber band guns that sold donuts from a popcorn machine?  No?  He was between what is now one of those stores that I have no idea how to get in, but I know I don't want to go in because the perfume that they spray in the (what I perceive to be the entrance) makes me sneeze and the pond with the gigantic fish that looks like they have been there since before Christ.  We made those donuts this morning.

Last weekend we laid (or is it lied? that doesn't sound right) in bed until about 8:30 when we got a hankering for breakfast.  Carrie came up with the idea that I should go out to the bakery and get pczackis as it was the last day they were available at the Oakmont Bakery until after Christmas.  I, however wasn't really into that idea as I knew that it was a bakery the day before a holiday.  She and I talked a bit about who would have the children and we decided that the five of us would load up in White Light and head down to the bakery.  As we crossed Washington Ave on Allegheny Ave, we saw that there were loads of cars parked along both sides of the road, an obvious sign that the bakery was not a place that I would not want to visit at that time.  As we drove through the parking lot, Carrie saw the inside of the building and realized it would take 45 minutes for our little number to be called, so we went to McDonalds instead.

All of that to say, this week we planned ahead for Saturday breakfast and bought Pillsbury Grands at the store this week.  Apparently the Robinsons did this many times when Carrie was growing up.  You heat some vegetable oil, cut out the middle of the biscuit with the vegetable oil lid and fry away.  Toss in a bag of cinnamon and sugar and you get a cinnamon and sugar donut.

Today I experimented.  We like the Pittsburgh cream donuts the best.  So we left some biscuits whole, without a hole, fried them and filled them with a vanilla cream.  (I've always wondered how they do that.  It's not too hard.  Just insert the icing nozzle and fill.  It will make it's own space.  Not very impressive.)  Well there is a reason you cut out the middle with the vegetable oil lid.  Inside the crispy shell and around the creamy middle was a gooey, doughy flavor that ruined the donut.  Good thing we didn't assume this would work.  Apparently those bakers know what they're doing.  I'm not asking for help on making this donuts a reality, as I have more ideas as to how to cook them completely.  I'm just informing the 3 of you that read this, leave the donut filling to those who know more than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment