Monday, April 9, 2012

Nameless

The Hendricksons outside their nameless house
With all of the downtime Carrie has had lately, she has quickly run through all of her Netflix queue.  She has watched  4 seasons of "Say Yes To The Dress," seven Ryan Reynolds movies and every cooking show that Netflix and Hulu have provided her.  Recently she stumbled upon a show that we've heard people talk about but I have been reluctant to watch due to my hatred of anything English that might remind me of the Jane Austen "__________&____________" books.  Now that I think of it, I wonder if the Farrely Brothers were trying to piggyback of the fame of the Austen books?
But I decided that I would try out Downton Abbey, as I have heard that people that I trust have enjoyed it.  It is watchable, maybe even enjoyable.  But it got me thinking.  Why haven't we named our home?  Is it because it only has 7 rooms and a basement?  Is it because I had to buy the house myself, instead of inheriting it?
The Flowering Snow Cherry Tree

A house with a name screams "class."  Fallingwater, Buckingham Palace, Graceland, Neverland...
"White Light" the 2010 Grand Caravan
I love naming things.  When I got my first car at 18 years old, I named it "Little Joey."  Why?  Because I truly believed that "We'll make it to California someday."  My first born got her name because Carrie and I loved to ski.  When we got addicted to social media, we gave our children the pseudonyms "Little, Middle and Boy." I named my Toyota "Stewart," but the name never stuck.  My children have named vans, "Stormy" the old van, and "White Light," the newer.  So why haven't we named our house yet?
The Grand Entrance complete with butt tons of shoes and jackets
Think of it, when we invite our friends over, we could say wonderful phrases like "Will you be joining us for dinner at ____________?"  "You simply must see _____________'s new vegetable garden."  When the children grow up, they can confuse their friends by referring to their home as if it were a person that raised them.  There's all kinds of benefits.
So here's the question, what will we name our house?  Will you consider naming yours, so that when we say we're coming over, we won't say that we are going to (let's say) the Balkey's, but instead, "we are going to Boardroom?"  <-- pretty sure that should be a question mark and not a period, please comment on your interpretation.

2 comments:

  1. Houses with names are big in college. I have friends who live in The Embassy, The Korner (spelling things weird ways is big in college too) and even the Playpen. However, I lived in a house of 10 girls that was called (only because of some weird Penn State myth about PA laws-- http://onwardstate.com/2009/04/06/os-investigates-brothel-law-sorority-houses/) The Brothel. I'm sure Pastor Doug was proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My words to him would be something to the effect of, "It's THE Brothel, not A Brothel." Very important difference. Unless of course it was a brothel, then I highly disapprove.

      Delete